Next Monday marks the start of Global Action Week 2009, an international campaign week to let the world know that we need to provide education to all those who cannot access this basic right. Just as humans have the right to life, to basic shelter, food, water, and clothing, they too should be able to educate themselves.
Appropriately, the theme for this year's Week is "Literacy." The ability to read opens doors, such as providing access to the global information stream, to higher education, to basic health guidelines and more. The Canadian Global Campaign for Education, sponsor of the Global Action Week, is partnering with "Global Campaign for Education" partners to produce a series of short stories by prominent international humanitarian figures on said topic.
How you can take part in Global Action Week:
1. Register Online for Global Action Week 2009
2. Download the BIG READ stories and lessons.
3. Choose the lessons and stories to use with your class or group.
4. Do the BIG READ activities during Global Action Week (April 20-26, 2009)
5. Complete the Validation Form, and the Petition to the Canadian Government for more action.
6. Send both the Validation Form and Petition to CGCE by May 8, 2009.
Also, the Speak Up for Change blog is accepting submissions on "Literacy" to be published on the blog next week. Email [email protected]
to submit yours.
for more information.